Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cold Mountain KAL


I'm halfway through!!!

I saw this knitalong on Ravelry a few weeks ago and debated with myself before opening up Box 2 of the packed yarn. I'm making the stole using Helen's Lace in Primrose pink.

Another week and I should be done.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Andamento Lament

I was really going gang busters with this sock thinking I would get it right although I was frustrated early on. I am on gauge and assuming everything is great. But remember what you learned about assume? The pattern has a chart for the size 10+ size which I am using but lo and behold when we get to the finished toe the size is not for a 10+. The finished size for a 10+ is 10 1/4. Not actually what I achieved on gauge. Granted I didn't get a row gauge so who know's who is off. Needless to say I am happy this is not the first sock I finished from my Knit Purl sock club because I would be very disenchanted. Other socks I have finished have been wonderful. On the same token this was the first of the sock club with errata which was never formally addressed. This sock is now about to become a cowl or shawl of some sort.

Monday, July 13, 2009


Another pair of socks done. This is the March Knit Purl sock club selection. The pattern is Thora by Kristin Spurkland and the yarn is Shibuiknits sock "Arboretum". The sock pattern went quickly even though you needed to change needle size throughout the sock pattern. I had great fun doing these socks. They do have me looking at buying a pair of US O's Signature Needles. I had 2 Darn Pretty needle casualties.
Here we have the September 2008 sock from the Knit Purl sock club. This is Andamento by Sarah Pope in Koigu Premium Painter's Palette Merino "The Pearl". We never carried Koigu in the shop because I never felt the hype was worth the yarn. It is a lovely yarn but I don't think it's the end all. I am also having to reinforce the heel and toe because of what different ravelers have said about the heels and toes wearing out. I'm having to backtrack to relearn the pattern and figure out where I quit since I started several months ago and then stopped. As much as we all know not to quit when we get frustrated that is what I did so hopefully now I am back on track and will get these finished.

Saturday, July 11, 2009


I took some good friends to the airport yesterday. My "tip" was some wonderful homegrown tomatoes. We are growing tomatoes on our back deck but we are still waiting for the first red ripe tomato. As you can see, still on the orange side. We do, however, have plenty of basil. A quick trip to Whole Foods for some fresh local mozzarella, a little olive oil, capers, salt and pepper and we have for my dinner tonight a fresh, homemade Caprese salad. Yum.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Birthday Socks

The May sock pattern for the Knit Purl Sock Club was called Willamette Hop by Cookie A. The colorway is Microbrew dyed by Painted Skeins. This is not a color I normally wear myself but it is the perfect color for.........Dru Ann. And guess who's birthday is this month's?? I loved the pattern and will probably use it to make a pair of socks for myself. That's of course after I finish the other pairs of socks I have in my queue.

Monday, July 6, 2009

July Sock Club

My July Sock Club from Knit Purl came today in the mail. As always the colorway and pattern have been unique. I have thoroughly enjoyed this club. This month the pattern has been designed by Sara Morris and the yarn was dyed by Knitted Wit. The colorway is Saturday Market. I just finished knitting the socks from May and am working on the March selection. The May socks are a birthday gift and I will post about them at the end of the week after the recipient has received them. And yes, I have signed up for next year's Sock Club. Last year when I signed up it was for research, this year it is for pure pleasure.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Icarus Finished

My Icarus shawl is finally finished. I look forward to a night out so I can show it off. I could always wear it to the grocery store since they keep it so cold. I tried out my new blocking wires which made it very easy to spread out the shawl straight and even.