Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blackthorn Double Points

I generally use size 0 needles when knitting socks. I have tried many different company's needles because size 0 needles are very thin and I tend to bend and then split them in half. Lantern Moon, Clover, Darn Pretties and Chaio Goo to name a few.    I purchased a set of size zero 5 inch Signature Needle Arts  double point needles last year and fell in love. I made several pairs of socks with them and they never bent or broke.  Unfortunately when I decided I needed to invest in another pair (they were $10 a needle) I found out that Signature was no longer making 0's which is understandable as they were not made out of the same material as the rest of their needles but I was still bummed. 
I had heard about Blackthorn carbon needles and when I was at Vogue Live in LA they had a booth and I was able to knit with their double points.  They are guaranteed to not break or to lose their point.  For you geeks they are made out of the same carbon fiber composite as the Blackbird Stealth Jet.   At the show they only had 6" so I ordered a set of 5" when I got home. The Blackthorn double points are not cheap but still less then the Signature needles.  Shipping was amazingly quick and free and I have to say I have a new love - don't worry, Jim is still my true love - but in needles these are top dog.


I used them to knit the foot and heel of my second toe up sock and like the slight hold they have on the yarn.

 The points are not as "pointy" as the Signatures but still I had no problem purling three stitches together through the back loop.
My only caution is for those people that have an issue with the sound of fingernails on a blackboard, these might not be for them.  The needles don't make the sound but have the feel of fingernails on a blackboard.
Finishing up on the leg of my socks I have now snapped three more size 1 bamboo double points so I think I am going to add a set of size 1 5" Blackthorn double points to my Christmas list.
  

1 comment:

  1. I love the Signature zeroes. I bought two sets at Sock Summit 2009. I bought one set of Blackthorns 2.25mm at Sock Summit 2011. I haven't tried them out yet. I do see where they would feel like nails on the blackboard....

    ReplyDelete