Monday, May 23, 2011

Fava Beans

This season we are not getting a CSA box.  I enjoyed our CSA box last year from Soil Born Farms but there were some weeks we got a little tired of eating greens and tomatoes.  It did push me to can and I plan to do some again this summer.  Instead of getting a CSA box I have been trying to go to the farmers market every Saturday.  For those that know me that is a little bit of a  push as I normally work Saturdays so I have to get up an extra 45 minutes.  I really do like my sleep in the mornings
This past Saturday I made my way to the farmers market and along with the strawberries, cherries and a basil plant I purchased three pounds of fresh fava beans.


Fava beans are a lot of work.  First you have to shuck them, then they need to be blanched so the outer skin can be removed.  But they sure are delicious!!

 Here is a recipe for Egg Noodles with Fresh Fava Beans and Bacon

3 lbs. fresh fava beans, in their shells
1 lb. egg noodles
2 tbs. olive oil
2 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Shell the fava beans and blanch in boiling salted water for two minutes. Let cool and then slit the outer skin of the beans and slip beans out. 

While  the egg noodles are cooking to al dente heat the olive oil over medium heat, add onion and bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.  Add the minced garlic.  Add the fava beans and heat through.  Add cooked pasta and sour cream.  Add the Parmesan cheese and season to taste. 

Enjoy.


1 comment: